What Winter Maintenance Does Your Fiat Need?
The holidays are upon us and with them, road trips to visit family in Chicago, Naperville, and beyond. Before you hit the road to spread a little holiday cheer, complete your Fiat winter maintenance tasks this season:
- Check Your Lighting: Replace any burned-out bulbs and restore or replace any foggy or obscured lenses for best visibility.
- Test Your Battery: A weak battery can prevent your vehicle from starting in the cold. IF your car is slow to start, it might be time for a new battery. While testing your battery, you should also consider checking your spark plugs.
- Check Your Coolant: Water alone in your cooling system can freeze solid and crack the engine block, costing you thousands in repairs. Make sure your vehicle has a 50/50 mix of coolant and water for optimum performance.
- Replace the Washer Fluid: In the winter months switch the standard windshield washer fluid with one that has a special antifreeze mix. This will help when clearing ice off the windshield and prevent the system from freezing when the temperature drops.
- Get the Proper Tires: Even all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles aren’t immune to skidding. Having proper all-season or snow tires on your vehicle will ensure maximum traction.
- Check Your Pressure: As the temperature drops, the pressure in your tires can change as well, impacting the way they respond to road conditions. Check your tire pressure and top it off according to manufacturer specifications.
- Test Your Climate Control: If your vehicle is equipped with rear window defrost, make sure it can do its job. Likewise, test your vehicle’s heater and get it repaired if it isn’t working properly.
- Fill Your Tank. During the cold winter months, keep your gas tank full. If you get caught in traffic, you won’t end up running out of gas and being trapped on the highway in a freezing car.
It’s also important to make sure you have a bag packed with winter survival equipment including extra food, water, cell phone chargers, flashlights, first aid kit, knife, blanket, and any additional medical supplies you might need should you get stranded on the road.
Schedule a Winter Maintenance Check at Bettenhausen CDJR
Schedule an appointment online and bring your vehicle to our service center in Tinley Park to make sure you’re ready for the rigors of winter driving. We know this time of year gets expensive, so be sure to check out our service specials to save some money on these essential tasks.