How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
If you’re looking for a new subcompact SUV to drive around Orland Park, check out the 2022 Jeep Renegade! It’s jam-packed with amenities and features that you and your passengers can enjoy while driving through Mokena. Learn more about the Jeep Renegade interior with Bettenhausen CDJR below, and then visit our research hub to learn more…
If you’re in the market for a versatile vehicle around Orland Park that is capable of completing any task with ease, it’s worth checking out the 2022 Jeep Gladiator. The new Gladiator has all the latest performance, technology, and safety features you’ve come to expect, and at a great price. So, how much is the Jeep…
The compact 2022 Jeep Compass may be unassuming, but you won’t have to compromise towing capability when you get behind the wheel. The Compass has a Jeep towing capacity that is robust in capability, reaching up to 2,000 pounds. Explore the details of how the Jeep Compass tow package can enhance your next adventure…
The new Jeep Renegade embodies iconic Jeep style in a subcompact SUV package. It boasts striking wheels, geometric lines, and the classic Jeep grille, along with a range of exterior design elements, interior materials, and cabin color combinations. How will you express yourself on the Orland Park streets via your Jeep Renegade exterior colors? Discover your…
If you’re in the market for a new SUV that is sure to elevate your drives around Orland Park, it’s worth checking out the Jeep Compass Limited and other trim levels. The new Jeep Compass has all the latest performance, technology, and safety features that are sure to provide you with a pleasant experience around Tinley Park….
It’s not hard to see why the new Jeep Renegade is so popular around Orland Park, considering how much of a bargain it is. How much is the Jeep Renegade? The starting price of the 2022 Jeep Renegade is a shockingly low $22,790. Let’s take a closer look at the surprisingly affordable pricing of this…