How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Service & Parts Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
Has the 2020 Jeep Gladiator caught your eye, but you’re still uncertain what’s under the hood? The Gladiator has understandably made a mark on the pickup truck market due to its style and impressive performance. If you’re looking for the Jeep Gladiator engine specs and performance configurations, our Bettenhausen CDJR experts have parsed out what Orland Park…
Are you located in Orland Park or Mokena and looking for a vehicle that can not only seat your growing family but also handle some heavy cargo for a long trip? Well, why don’t you set your sights on the 2019 Chrysler Pacifica! Just how much can the Pacifica tow? Well, with six configurations to choose…
If you have a growing family in Orland Park or Mokena and you’re looking for an upgrade in your vehicle’s cargo room and seating capacity, then look to the 2019 Chrysler Pacifica. With its 3rd-row seating, ample cargo space, and a suite of standard high-tech interior features, the Chrysler Pacifica is easily one of the best…
Are you located in Orland Park or Mokena and searching for a capable SUV that can go off-roading and comfortably transport you and your family from one destination to the next? Take a look at the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, then, and discover all that it has to offer in its interior with Bettenhausen CDJR. With an…
In terms of performance, the new 2019 Ram 1500 is a powerhouse that can handle heavy workloads while remaining a fantastic vehicle fit for personal use. Featuring class-exclusive features, best-in-class capabilities, and excellent interior features on top of all that, the Ram 1500 is an excellent choice for truck enthusiasts in Orland Park looking for an…
Jeep Wrangler Interior Contact Us Jeep Wrangler Models & Features With five different Jeep Wrangler model configurations available for 2019, Mokena drivers are sure to find a trim level that perfectly meets their needs and budget. From the affordable Sport to the off-road ready Rubicon, each model has its own distinct personality – while still…