How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has long been a favorite of Orland Park and New Lenox adventurers, so what’s new in the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee interior? The latest model shines with high-tech features, premium materials, spacious dimensions, and even the option for a three-row seating configuration. Take a closer look at the brand new 2022 Jeep…
Jeep is serious about adding efficient performance to your powerful off-road adventures. The 2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid lets you head out around Orland Park with lower emissions and the same iconic performance the brand is known for. But, what can you expect with the Jeep Wrangler 4xe range? Read on with Bettenhausen CDJR to…
The all-new 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer is the newest Jeep SUV on the market near New Lenox and Mokena. Many of our customers ask us, “How much is a Jeep Grand Wagoneer?” Well, it depends on which Jeep Grand Wagoneer trim level you choose to bring home. At Bettenhausen CDJR in Tinley Park, we put together a guide…
If you’re in need of a highly capable model that can tow all of your needs and more, choose the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L. This model has a towing capacity of up to 6,200 pounds which is more than enough to power through your Orland Park weekend adventures. Learn more about the new Jeep Grand…
Drivers have been wanting Jeep third-row seating for some time, and Jeep delivered! The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L with third-row seating is ideal for families who need additional seating, but aren’t quite interested in going for the Jeep Wagoneer. Below, you can learn more about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L third-row seating,…
The 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer will be coming soon to the Orland Park streets. The Grand Wagoneer has been an American icon for a long time and when it returns, it’ll provide plenty of the same features that new Jeep vehicles provide but with added flair. It’ll have an updated and modern exterior design with an…