How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
Learn More About the Jeep Wrangler Contact Us The 2021 Jeep Wrangler towing capacity is impressive when you consider everything that it offers. From off-road capabilities in Tinley Park to an open-air driving experience around Orland Park, the new Jeep Wrangler is a remarkable vehicle. With a max towing capacity of 3,500 pounds in the 4-door…
Want a light truck that’s here for you in Orland Park? Look no further than the 2021 RAM 1500. How much can a RAM 1500 tow? You’ll have a truck with power to spare in the RAM 1500, with up to 12,750 pounds of towing capacity at your disposal. Whether you’re in need of the immense…
Are you interested in driving home a well-appointed 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee? You will find that you have a whopping nine different Jeep Grand Cherokee configurations to choose from. Each Grand Cherokee configuration differs from the next, with their own unique features, performance, and towing capability. In fact, with so many quality Jeep Grand Cherokee…
The 2021 Jeep Compass towing capacity offers you up to 1,000 pounds of towing power to play with in Orland Park. That’s perfect for small vacation jobs, like towing small trailers. If you’re ready to have some fun with a great SUV, let Bettenhausen CDJR answer your question, “How much can the Jeep Compass tow?” Then you…
Drivers from Orland Park to Mokena are in the market for a new compact SUV. This often leads them to explore the 2021 Jeep Renegade, which features unique styling and tough off-road capabilities that won’t break your budget. So, what is the 2021 Jeep Renegade price point, and is it within your budget? This IIHS Top…
The new 2021 Jeep Renegade is one of the most attractive SUV/crossovers out there, with a rugged design built for off-road. This makes you prepared for any conditions that the Orland Park roads may present, whether you are looking for some off-road fun in the country, or road conditions in the city. But what really makes…