How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Service & Parts Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
Orland Park drivers looking for absolute comfort in a safe, affordable, and fully-loaded minivan will find it in the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan. Whether you’re headed out from Mokena on a cross-country road trip, or you simply going to grab some groceries, the Dodge Grand Caravan interior is replete with the features to keep you and…
If you’re asking yourself, “How much can the Grand Cherokee tow?” Bettenhausen CDJR has the answer! The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee towing capacity is 7,200 pounds. Choose from 12 trims and four engines to build a Grand Cherokee with all the right capabilities for your driving needs in Tinley Park. The Grand Cherokee towing capacity pairs performance…
Tinley Park drivers who are looking to upgrade their vehicle’s style won’t need to look further than the new 2020 Jeep Renegade. This popular SUV choice comes equipped with solid performance specs, high-tech interior features, and a wide array of color options for both the interior and exterior. Take a look at our inventory to find…
There are many reasons your RAM 1500 check engine light could be on, from a loose gas cap to a serious mechanical malfunction from your recent trip around Tinley Park. Either way, it’s easy to fix and the experts at Bettenhausen CDJR can help you diagnose the problem. Read our instructions below on how to reset your…
The Jeep Gladiator is the newest edition to the pick-up truck family. Its performance and features have been praised with high ratings and reviews, but what about it’s towing capacity? Drivers in Tinley Park who are looking for a light-duty pick-up truck that also excels in off-road performance will be pleased with the abilities of the…
Has the 2020 Jeep Gladiator caught your eye, but you’re still uncertain what’s under the hood? The Gladiator has understandably made a mark on the pickup truck market due to its style and impressive performance. If you’re looking for the Jeep Gladiator engine specs and performance configurations, our Bettenhausen CDJR experts have parsed out what Orland Park…