How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
The 2021 Dodge Charger is sure to turn heads when you’re driving around Orland Park. That’s because it provides sharp body lines and an aggressive stance that catches everyone’s eyes. The Dodge Charger paint colors are some of the most stunning colors available on a modern vehicle. Even better, the inside of the Charger adds the…
Did you know that the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat can go from 0-60 miles per hour in under 4 seconds? The SRT Hellcat is just one of ten powerful 2021 Dodge Challenger Configurations. Furthermore, any one of the new Dodge Challenger trims would look great in your Orland Park driveway. Which of the Dodge Challenger trim levels…
The 2021 Dodge Charger is sure to turn heads when you’re driving around Orland Park. That’s because it provides sharp body lines and an aggressive stance that catches everyone’s eyes.
Are you dreaming of a new SUV for your weekend adventures around Tinley Park but need one that can tow your boat or RV? If so, check out the Dodge Durango towing capacity! When equipped with an available 6.4L HEMI® V8 engine, the Dodge Durango towing capacity is 8,700-pounds! Plus, the standard V6 engine can two up…
Are you looking for a new minivan for your Tinley Park family? The latest Chrysler Pacifica is probably on your shortlist, as it updates this well-regarded vehicle with tons of customizable features. There are a few Pacifica trim levels to choose from, so Bettenhausen CDJR covers your options below! Pacifica Trim Levels: Prices First, let’s see an…
For the 2021 model year, the Jeep Grand Cherokee offers a spacious interior with great dimensions and technology. With a generous amount of legroom and cargo space, the new Jeep Grand Cherokee will keep you comfortable on Tinley Park roads. At Bettenhausen CDJR, we look forward to helping you learn more about the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee…