How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bettenhausen CDJR
Help prevent flat tires with regular tire rotations and maintenance at our service department. We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Tinley Park today!
Need Service? See Our Current Service Specials Right Here:
We are currently updating our Specials. Please check back soon.
More From Bettenhausen CDJR:
The 2020 Jeep Gladiator has evolved the pickup truck world for both truck drivers and Jeep lovers. Many Orland Park drivers searching for a Jeep to suit their needs are asking, ‘how much is the Jeep Gladiator?’ The Jeep Gladiator MSRP starts at $33,535.Decide between the Gladiator’s capable trim levels, like the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon price….
Part of the fun of owning a Jeep Wrangler comes from accessorizing it to fit your needs. From improving comfort for daily driving to high-tech sports gear, accessories for the Jeep Wrangler help you make a Wrangler suited to your style in Orland Park. That’s why there’s a huge variety of accessories for the Wrangler. Take…
Tinley Park drivers in the market for a versatile vehicle that provides an upgraded weekday commute as well as capabilities to tackle weekend adventures will certainly consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the Grand Cherokee reputation for spirited outdoor drives complete with impressive towing capability is well known, we’ll take a closer look at the impressive…
The legendary Jeep Wrangler has an undeniably iconic exterior, known for its off-road readiness, adventurous spirit, and unique color options. But upon discovering the precise craftsmanship and many advanced technologies packed into the 2020 Jeep Wrangler interior, you’ll find there’s, even more, to love about this classic model. Read on below to discover the features…
There’s so much for hopeful Tinley Park car-buyers to get excited about from the 2020 Jeep Compass – and the Jeep Compass reviews from experts and current owners alike prove that. Read on below to discover all the outstanding features that make the 2020 Jeep Compass a fantastic choice for your next Orland Park family SUV! New…
Thirty-five years ago, Chrysler reshaped the family car with the introduction of the minivan. Today, the many Chrysler Pacifica configurations allow Orland Park drivers to find the minivan of their dreams, whether they’re interested in buying or leasing. With this Pacifica trim levels synopsis from Bettenhausen CDJR, you can explore the many Chrysler Pacifica configurations, finding the…