Why is My Car Leaking?
If you’ve noticed that your vehicle is leaking while you’re driving around New Lenox, you probably have two questions on your mind: One, why is your car leaking? And two, what exactly is leaking from it? Our service team is here to share to answer these questions for you today.
Check the Fluid Color
The fluid color will tell you a lot about what exactly is going on with your vehicle. If you can’t easily determine the fluid color on the ground, use a white paper towel or cloth to soak a little up so you can check. Make sure to wash your hands afterward!
What the Fluid Colors Mean
- Pink/Red Fluid: If you see pink or red fluid leaking from your car, don’t worry. It’s likely either power steering fluid or transmission fluid. Our highly-qualified technicians at Bettenhausen CDJR can help diagnose whether the problem affects the transmission or power steering system.
- Dark Brown Fluid: Dark brown fluid typically involves issues with either brake fluid or motor oil. Motor oil turns dark brown and becomes more viscous after a significant amount of time. Either of these issues can result in potentially life-threatening problems, so be sure to take your vehicle into a service center as soon as you notice dark brown fluid.
- Light Brown Fluid: Typically, light brown fluid indicates either motor oil or gear lubricant. The way you can tell is that gear lubricant has a significant odor, while motor oil only smells if it is on fire.
- Green Fluid: The presence of green fluid is usually a clear indication of antifreeze leaks. This problem is often caused by loose hoses or clamps. Make sure you’re using the right antifreeze by checking your owner’s manual.
- Blue Fluid: Blue fluid is 99.9% of the time windshield wiper fluid. This is an easy fix as our Tinley Park technicians can quickly identify leaking components and patch the system up to ensure it does not continue to leak.
- Clear Fluid: Fortunately, clear fluid leaks are nothing to be worried about: Your vehicle’s air conditioning system is working properly, and the fluid you’ve noticed is simply condensation emitted from this system.
Get Great Deals on Service at Bettenhausen CDJR
Whether you’re looking for an affordable oil change or other maintenance work, Bettenhausen CDJR is here to help with great deals on affordable service performed by highly-qualified technicians. Schedule service today to get started!
More from Bettenhausen CDJR
The Jeep Gladiator is the newest edition to the pick-up truck family. Its performance and features have been praised with high ratings and reviews, but what about it’s towing capacity? Drivers in Tinley Park who are looking for a light-duty pick-up truck that also excels in off-road performance will be pleased with the abilities of the…
Has the 2020 Jeep Gladiator caught your eye, but you’re still uncertain what’s under the hood? The Gladiator has understandably made a mark on the pickup truck market due to its style and impressive performance. If you’re looking for the Jeep Gladiator engine specs and performance configurations, our Bettenhausen CDJR experts have parsed out what Orland Park…
Are you located in Orland Park or Mokena and looking for a vehicle that can not only seat your growing family but also handle some heavy cargo for a long trip? Well, why don’t you set your sights on the 2019 Chrysler Pacifica! Just how much can the Pacifica tow? Well, with six configurations to choose…